Saturday, February 19, 2011

Daddy and Grandpa Mason, my Mother's Father, taken in our backyard at 2515 Washington Street, Vicksburg, MS, where I grew up and lived for 21 years.  The house no longer stands and was torn down after Dykes Flooring Company who bought the house.  It's like an empty hole when I drive by my old stomping grounds on Washington Street.  The huge pecan tree and pine tree next door are still there.  I always thought that big pecan tree would fall on our house.  The house on the right side of us is the only house standing on the whole block.  The rest of the homes have been torn down.  The Hullums' used to live there and also the Ables.  I also remember a big family living there and their last name was Irons.  There was Coleman's Furniture Store, on the corner of Meadow and Washington Streets maybe two house...then the house you see here behind Daddy and Grandpa, our house, the house next to us that is still standing and a big two story home owned by the Biedenharn Family was all torn down. Next to the Biedenharn Family was Allen's Dairy, an ice cream parlor.  I would go there and get ice cream and milk when I was little.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...